Before you set off
- Ask yourself if the journey is really necessary or whether it might be better to postpone until the worst of the rain has passed.
- If you do need to go, check your windscreen wipers before you set off. Your wiper blades – both front and rear – must be in good condition. If they’re not, change them straight away.
- Check your tyre tread depth. If you’re driving on summer or all-season tyres, we recommend a minimum tread depth of 3mm. If you’re driving on winter tyres, we recommend 4mm.
- Fill up with fuel. Heavy rain often causes hold ups as cars break down or collide. The last thing you need is to be stuck in traffic with your wipers, heater and lights on but hardly any fuel.
- Familiarise yourself with the air conditioning and heater settings on your car so you know how to demist the interior quickly.
- Listen to the radio. Find out if there are any road closures, accidents or floods on your intended route and work out an alternative journey.
- Charge your mobile phone. You may need to pull over to let people know that you’re running late.